Sunday, March 23, 2008

Winter Sowing

Wintersown.org

I've been thinking about growing more from seed in the future. I've never had much luck in the past - pale spindly babies reaching for the little light they can find. (OK, I've had a couple minor successes, but my point remains!)

This year I've picked up packets of Cerinthe (a self-seeding annual with drooping purple bells), Lavender angustifolia (destined for the front walk, eventually) and a purple/green annual grass that turns out to actually be rice! Plus three skinny windowbox trays that will snug up next to the kitchen window.

But this winter sowing idea - while I haven't read into it much - could be a great way to grow seeds in the future. I'm thinking of creating a growing bed for a few years where I can raise perennials from seed. Too ambitious?

No comments: